Time for Disney to Spin Off Their Television Division?
TMC
2013-04-01 07:05:47 UTC
http://www.retrojunk.com/forum/post/list/default/51409

If you ask me, ever since Bob Iger became CEO of the Walt Disney
Company in 2005, he began fixing the problems Michael Eisner made when
it came to movies (buying Pixar, bringing back quality animated movies
whether they're 2D or CGI) and theme parks. Unfortunately, I don't
think he's been doing anything to their television arm, Disney/ABC
Television Group. All Disney/ABC has been doing since 2006 is
destroying the Disney name and the company's reputation. Hannah
Montana? High School Musical? Shake It Up? Disney XD? Pretty Little
Liars? How do these live up to the company's standards of quality
family entertainment? All they are doing is catering to the lowest
common denominator (preppy tweens and teens and/or spoiled college
kids). ABC has especially gone downhill with their LCD sitcoms and
dramas, reality shows, and left-leaning (in my opinion) evening
newscasts. That has made me conclude that Mr. Iger and Disney need to
do something about this, and I think spinning off Disney/ABC
Television Group (and that includes all of their television networks,
even Disney Channel) into a separate publicly-traded company would be
the best bet. Think about it... Disney can focus on what they do best
(movies, animation, and theme parks) while the new Disney/ABC (which
would probably be renamed ABC Inc. if the spin-off were to occur)
would focus on television properties and broadcasting. Your thoughts?
Agree or disagree?
Ian J. Ball
2013-04-01 14:23:03 UTC
In article
Post by TMC
http://www.retrojunk.com/forum/post/list/default/51409
If you ask me, ever since Bob Iger became CEO of the Walt Disney
Company in 2005, he began fixing the problems Michael Eisner made when
it came to movies (buying Pixar, bringing back quality animated movies
whether they're 2D or CGI) and theme parks. Unfortunately, I don't
think he's been doing anything to their television arm, Disney/ABC
Television Group. All Disney/ABC has been doing since 2006 is
destroying the Disney name and the company's reputation. Hannah
Montana? High School Musical? Shake It Up? Disney XD? Pretty Little
Liars? How do these live up to the company's standards of quality
family entertainment?
Proving that there are still plenty of shit-for-brains people posting
pure crap on the internet...
--
"Surf-crazed aliens... Of course." - Amber, "Alien Surf Girls",
Episode #1.1, "Wipeout".
Wait a minute... "Of course"?! "*Of course*"?!! Did I miss a step here??!!
Bill Steele
2013-04-01 17:36:18 UTC
In article
Post by TMC
[...]
Half agree. ABC, take it or leave it. It can go on being an
adult-oriented Disney Property, like Touchstone Films. But Disney
Channel needs to be MORE Disney. Right now it seems they're trying to be
Nickelodeon. And Nickelodeon does it better.
Howard Brazee
2013-04-01 18:02:08 UTC
Post by Bill Steele
Half agree. ABC, take it or leave it. It can go on being an
adult-oriented Disney Property, like Touchstone Films. But Disney
Channel needs to be MORE Disney. Right now it seems they're trying to be
Nickelodeon. And Nickelodeon does it better.
It would be less risky if Disney didn't have virtually the same
formula every time I am at my grandchildren's houses and they have it
on TV.
--
Anybody who agrees with one side all of the time or disagrees with the
other side all of the time is equally guilty of letting others do
their thinking for them.
Ian J. Ball
2013-04-02 12:48:17 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
In article
Post by TMC
[...]
Except NICK *doesn't* do it better, which is why NICK's ratings are in
the toilet compared to Disney Channel's, and why NICK no longer has even
one show that anyone wants to watch currently.