Without DirecTV, Nickelodeon's ratings tumble
TMC
2012-07-17 07:21:43 UTC
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-nickratings-20120716,0,1495882.story

A Viacom spokesperson notes that Nickelodeon is "the most watched
cable network on DirecTV."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0972534/board/thread/201827614

I'm guessing the snarkyness of Viacom using Spongebob kinda backfired
in social mediahttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=392567080808126&set=a.3888
46511180183.91093.143042519093918&type=1&theater.... this is all
hurting Nick.

Greed only takes you so far....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1604099/board/thread/201827756?d=201827756#201827756

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showthread.php?289168-Nickelodeon-is-investigating-ratings-in-September-with-Nielsen&p=4024025#post4024025

http://www.cynopsis.com/editions/kids/071712/

Ratings for Nick fell about 33% on the first day. They barely beat CN
on Friday as well, with kids 2-11. Victorious is replacing All That
and Kenan and Kel at the 8pm hour, which is smart actually since it's
already a popular show with teens which leads into Hollywood Heights.
I still say old Degrassi episodes need to be on during that time.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showthread.php?296400-TALKBACK-DIRECTV-dropping-MTV-Nickelodeon-Comedy-Central-BET-and-more/page3

http://newyork.newsday.com/business/viacom-directv-dispute-falling-profits-to-blame-for-blackout-trend-1.3840057

https://twitter.com/#!/search/Nickelodeon%20ratings

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=3057314&postcount=2256

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Nickelodeon+ratings+DirecTV&oq=Nickelodeon+ratings+DirecTV&gs_l=hp.3...2967.12903.1.13339.35.29.2.0.0.0.445.6262.2j12j6j8j1.29.0...2.0...1c.pfZMAnYVu0Y&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=fcdf227f2892aa32&biw=1920&bih=960
Obveeus
2012-07-17 11:24:47 UTC
Post by TMC
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-nickratings-20120716,0,1495882.story
A Viacom spokesperson notes that Nickelodeon is "the most watched
cable network on DirecTV."
Greed only takes you so far....
If Nickelodeon is the most watched cable channel on DirecTV, then it isn't
'greedy' for Viacom to be looking to receive top dollar from DirecTV.
Mike Vincent
2012-07-17 14:37:56 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by TMC
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-nickratings-20120716,0,1495882.story
A Viacom spokesperson notes that Nickelodeon is "the most watched
cable network on DirecTV."
Greed only takes you so far....
If Nickelodeon is the most watched cable channel on DirecTV, then it isn't
'greedy' for Viacom to be looking to receive top dollar from DirecTV.
It seems like Nick needs DTV more than DTV needs Nick, so perhaps the
dollars should be flowing in the other direction.
Kimba W Lion
2012-07-17 15:11:22 UTC
Post by Mike Vincent
It seems like Nick needs DTV more than DTV needs Nick, so perhaps the
dollars should be flowing in the other direction.
Any ad-supported channel needs the carriers. No carrier = no viewers = nothing
to sell to the advertisers. Any payment by the carrier to the channel is
passed along to the viewers, so we end up paying twice, when you consider that
having ads is supposed to be the price we pay.

Bravo to DirecTV for standing up to Viacom, and bravo to Dish Network for
standing up to AMC. Those channels need us, we don't need them. The current
system is screwy and needs to be shaken up.
Lynn McGuire
2012-07-17 16:53:28 UTC
Post by Kimba W Lion
Post by Mike Vincent
It seems like Nick needs DTV more than DTV needs Nick, so perhaps the
dollars should be flowing in the other direction.
Any ad-supported channel needs the carriers. No carrier = no viewers = nothing
to sell to the advertisers. Any payment by the carrier to the channel is
passed along to the viewers, so we end up paying twice, when you consider that
having ads is supposed to be the price we pay.
Bravo to DirecTV for standing up to Viacom, and bravo to Dish Network for
standing up to AMC. Those channels need us, we don't need them. The current
system is screwy and needs to be shaken up.
I saw that DirecTV added the Disney Jr. channel
yesterday so DirecTV is making plans to be
without Viacom. I wonder what Viacom is doing ?

Lynn
Warewolf
2012-07-17 17:01:58 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
I saw that DirecTV added the Disney Jr. channel
yesterday so DirecTV is making plans to be
without Viacom. I wonder what Viacom is doing ?
Regretting that they didn't offer a more robust Daria box set, I hope. 9_9

(They could have sold so much more if they'd done a better job...and
smacked the RIAA around like no tomorrow) -_-

Oh well.

Signed,
Warewolf
who was quite impressed with Media Blasters' handing of the packaging for
Invader Zim
Lloyd
2012-07-17 17:43:51 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Kimba W Lion
Post by Mike Vincent
It seems like Nick needs DTV more than DTV needs Nick, so perhaps the
dollars should be flowing in the other direction.
Any ad-supported channel needs the carriers. No carrier = no viewers = nothing
to sell to the advertisers. Any payment by the carrier to the channel is
passed along to the viewers, so we end up paying twice, when you consider that
having ads is supposed to be the price we pay.
Bravo to DirecTV for standing up to Viacom, and bravo to Dish Network for
standing up to AMC. Those channels need us, we don't need them. The current
system is screwy and needs to be shaken up.
I saw that DirecTV added the Disney Jr. channel
yesterday so DirecTV is making plans to be
without Viacom. I wonder what Viacom is doing ?
Lynn
I think you're over reading. They added Disney Jr in SD to help placate
those with small children and did not put them on a former Viacom slot.
anim8rFSK
2012-07-17 19:05:24 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Kimba W Lion
Post by Mike Vincent
It seems like Nick needs DTV more than DTV needs Nick, so perhaps the
dollars should be flowing in the other direction.
Any ad-supported channel needs the carriers. No carrier = no viewers = nothing
to sell to the advertisers. Any payment by the carrier to the channel is
passed along to the viewers, so we end up paying twice, when you consider that
having ads is supposed to be the price we pay.
Bravo to DirecTV for standing up to Viacom, and bravo to Dish Network for
standing up to AMC. Those channels need us, we don't need them. The current
system is screwy and needs to be shaken up.
I saw that DirecTV added the Disney Jr. channel
yesterday so DirecTV is making plans to be
without Viacom. I wonder what Viacom is doing ?
Lynn
Might be a coincidence; I just noticed Disney Junior on COX this weekend
as well.
"Every time a Kardashian gets a TV show, an angel dies."
Professor Bubba
2012-07-17 19:40:36 UTC
Post by anim8rFSK
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Kimba W Lion
Post by Mike Vincent
It seems like Nick needs DTV more than DTV needs Nick, so perhaps the
dollars should be flowing in the other direction.
Any ad-supported channel needs the carriers. No carrier = no viewers = nothing
to sell to the advertisers. Any payment by the carrier to the channel is
passed along to the viewers, so we end up paying twice, when you consider that
having ads is supposed to be the price we pay.
Bravo to DirecTV for standing up to Viacom, and bravo to Dish Network for
standing up to AMC. Those channels need us, we don't need them. The current
system is screwy and needs to be shaken up.
I saw that DirecTV added the Disney Jr. channel
yesterday so DirecTV is making plans to be
without Viacom. I wonder what Viacom is doing ?
Lynn
Might be a coincidence; I just noticed Disney Junior on COX this weekend
as well.
It is. Disney Jr. has been pending for a couple of years now. What's
interesting is that it was supposed to replace Soapnet, but Soapnet is
still there.
anim8rFSK
2012-07-18 00:15:15 UTC
Post by Professor Bubba
Post by anim8rFSK
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Kimba W Lion
Post by Mike Vincent
[...]
This should make Ian happy?
"Every time a Kardashian gets a TV show, an angel dies."
Warewolf
2012-07-17 16:55:38 UTC
Those channels need us, we don't need them. The current system is screwy
and needs to be shaken up.
Along with their schedules, I'm sure but would even a late-night genie
series be able to salvage whatever entertainment value is/could be left in
the wasteland?

Series like MLP:FiM and Megas XLR are just building blocks - you need a
suitable (read: watchable) structure in your schedule if you plan to draw
your (former) viewers away from sites like YouTube (where you'll find that
many classic series reside).

Signed,
Warewolf
who only buys *non-butchered* DVD boxsets when they interest him, thank you
very much.
TMC
2012-07-19 00:35:57 UTC
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-disney-big-winner-in-viacom-directv-spat-20120717,0,7078717.story

5:01 p.m. CDT, July 17, 2012

Kids and their parents shut out from watching Viacom Inc.'s
Nickelodeon on DirecTV appear to be turning to The Disney Channel,
which is enjoying a ratings boost that could help the network even
after a fee dispute ends.

Ratings for Viacom-owned Nickelodeon fell 20 percent last week when
two dozen Viacom networks came off the DirecTV satellite service a
week ago due to a fight over programming fees, according to Bernstein
Research analyst Todd Juenger.

The loss for Nickelodeon benefited the Disney channel, which saw a 21
percent ratings jump for the same time period, Juenger said.

"The Disney Channel has picked up all of Nick's viewers and then
some," Juenger said in a research note.

The Disney Channel averaged 356,000 viewers age 2 to 5 each day from
July 9 to 15, according to Nielsen data provided by Horizon Media.
That compares with 271,000 for Nickelodeon. A Nickelodeon spokesman
did not return a call for comment.

Disney sent out a statement trumpeting the Disney Channel's first No.
1 weekly ranking among preschoolers based on total day ratings.
Programs such as "Doc McStuffins" and "Jake and the Never Land
Pirates" lifted viewership among 2- to 5-year olds, the company said.

Juenger, the Bernstein research analyst, said he believed the blackout
was temporary but that children and their parents may get hooked on
Disney's programs in the meantime.

Twenty-five Viacom-owned channels -- including MTV, BET, Comedy
Central and Nickelodeon -- have been off air for DirecTV's 20 million
subscribers for nearly a week due to a programming fee contract
dispute.

DirecTV spokesman Robert Mercer said on Tuesday that "some customers
have left us, but the numbers so far are very low."

DirecTV added the Disney Junior channel last week, a network targeting
the lucrative market segment for 2-to-7-year-olds that competes with
Nickelodeon and Nick Jr. DirecTV has also expanded a PBS children's
network called Sprout to more subscribers.

Over the past few weeks, disputes over fees have erupted in the pay TV
sector. DirecTV's main rival, Dish Network, has dropped AMC Networks,
while Time Warner Cable is in a dispute with Hearst Television.

DirecTV shares 1.2 percent to $48.78 on Tuesday while Viacom shares
lost a fraction of a cent to finish at $49.96. Disney shares gained
3.1 percent, closing at $49.35 on the New York Stock Exchange after an
analyst upgraded the company's shares.